Sunday, June 26, 2011

Suppression

I began the suppression stage of my first IVF cycle on May 31, 2011. In the infertility world, suppression is the shut down of your reproductive system. Ironically you take birth control pills for 3 weeks then Lupron shots in your thighs to prevent ovulation. They do this to make sure all of your follicles (the houses that contain your eggs) are growing at the same rate. In a cycle without suppression, follicles grow at various rates. They want them all the same size for retrieval.

When I am completely suppressed, I will begin the ovulation induction period with Follistim shots in my stomach. Today is June 26 so I have finished taking the birth control pills and have been on the Lupron shots for 11 days. I go for my blood work on the 29th to see what's going on inside me! If I am ready I can start Follistim. If not, I will go for more blood work on July 1st to check the status. Typically you are on Follistim for 8 to 10 days once you start it. After Follistim then it's retrieval and embryo time!

No comments:

Post a Comment