Saturday, August 9, 2014

The Infertility Addiction

My RE called last week. He said he was very sorry and really thought this transfer was going to work. I agreed and told him I had implantation spotting at 3 and 4 DP5DT so when I didn't get pregnant I was shocked. When I mentioned trying a gestational carrier he said he didn't think it was time to do that. He said GCs are for women with problems with their uterus and it was extremely expensive. He said insurance doesn't cover the pregnancy and you have to pay hospital bills out of pocket. Is this true? When I looked it up online, it seemed like insurance did cover and you just paid her co pays but who knows? Have any of you had experience with this?

He suggested to try again with our last two donor embryos and said if it didn't work he might be able to locate more for us. When does it end? Granted we've only transferred 2 high quality embryos out of 8 embryos (assuming that our genetic ones aren't good) but we've done 5 transfers with only one chemical pregnancy that ended soon after the beta. He said the success rate for FET is around 40% with high quality embryos. So I guess we will put the last two in me in a few months but I really hate to do it. I feel like my body is not good at this and I thought my time trying with my own body was over. But then again I feel like I'm playing the lottery and if I just throw some more money on the table, maybe I'll win the jackpot.

3 comments:

  1. It's my understanding that what your doc said is correct most times on coverage. Insurance typically doesn't cover surrogate pregnancies. So, if you get a $1M NICU bill, you're stuck with it. I'd never heard of any companies covering it until Kharini at My Fertility Blog recently had twins via her SIL...and she said her insurance did cover it. I was shocked to hear that, so maybe some do!? There are also companies that provide pregnancy coverage for surrogate pregnancies (as a separate policy altogether) but they are very expensive.

    Praying for peace for you moving forward with with your remaining embies. XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it varies by insurance companies. I know that my plan with BC/BS doesn't cover it. But I would think some may. I bet it's rare. Call your insurance co they can tell you.

    Either route I pray that this is your time. You have been so patient and deserve a break!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I know the feeling! I really feel like I should just go throw away all our money in Vegas because that's what it feels like trying to have a baby!

    We were definitely concerned about insurance coverage using a gestational carrier because if the delivery and anything that comes with it wasn't covered, we weren't going to move forward- that would be too risky.
    My cousin, our GC, was sure to check before we started the process, to make sure her insurance would cover the delivery and her medical expenses. Then we will reimburse her for this. It took several phone calls to insurance companies, but I think we finally found the info we needed.

    I think she learned that BCBS wouldn't cover her pregnancy and delivery, but the plan that she is on will. I believe it varies from state to state and plan to plan.
    The insurance I have I know won't cover anything for her. I will switch my plan in January, but I doubt the plan I switch to (which has infertility coverage) will cover anything for our GC.

    Email me if you have any more questions, and I will do my best to share what I know :)
    Good luck with your next cycle!!! I'm cheering for you every step of the way!!!

    ReplyDelete