Friday, March 6, 2015

First Steps Toward Adoption!

I'm excited to announce that we are officially researching adoption! I am thrilled to be closing the fertility door forever. Although I will never get over the fact that I won't be able to carry our baby, I am finally ready to become a mother in any way that God has for us. I truly feel He's leading us in this direction. Here's why-

Yesterday I had another snow day so I was at home all day. I spent the day on the computer and the phone. A friend of mine gave me the contact information for someone who had used Faithful Adoption Consultants (FAC), a website I had been looking at and contemplating using. I talked to her for over an hour and she was full of information. She said that FAC was great to work with but they were expensive and dealt with high-risk babies. She said they asked if she and her husband would be willing to travel to Utah and stay for 3 months with a baby that was born at 28 weeks. She ended up using a different consultant out of California and after 3 years of waiting and 8 failed adoptions :( she now has her precious baby girl.

Not long after this phone conversation, I received a facebook message from a friend about an agency in FL that had babies coming soon without matches to a family. It was really strange because I haven't mentioned adoption to her (or really anyone) in a long time so the fact that she sent this to me was a great sign that we were on the right track.

After getting that message, I really wanted to ask my husband if we could start the process but I was nervous. After our last FET failed I told him I was done and wanted to move on to adoption. He said if I still felt that way in a couple of months then he might actually believe me. Can you tell I've said this before and changed my mind? Well it hasn't been quite two months so I was afraid he would think it was too soon to start. I told him about my conversation with the lady who has successfully adopted and asked if we could at least start on the home study. To my surprise he said yes. Here's why-

My hubby was watching Law and Order yesterday on a plane and picked an episode at random. The episode was about a mother who was on drugs and ended up dying by gang rape and murder. She had an infant which one of the cops on the show ended up adopting at the end. Out of all of the episodes he could have chosen, he picked the one with an adoption. I do believe the Lord is working on him (and me!)

So last night and today I have been speaking with people at agencies and filling out online forms at serveral agencies/consulting firms. Do any of you have experiences with any of these places?

-Faithful Adoption Consultants (Atlanta)
-Building Families Adoption Agency (Florida)
-Miriam's Promise (Nashville)
-Catholic Christian Services (Nashville)
-Adoption Information Services(Atlanta)
-Adoption Miracles (Florida)

I would love to hear your thoughts!


7 comments:

  1. It sounds like a handful of opportunities will be opening up for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no advice on adoption but I'm SUPER excited for you sweetie! Xoxo you are meant tone a momma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have any advice or any information to pass along but I just wanted to let you know that when I saw the title of your post, I smiled. I am so happy and excited for you and will continue to pray for a positive outcome to your journey to parenthood <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. How are things going? Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I know who we are going with but we are taking things slow. We just bought 4 more pizza franchises so my hubby is a tad busy at the moment. Thanks for thinking of me.

      Delete