Wednesday, March 7, 2012

News

I finally got to talk to my doctor yesterday about our failed cycle. The first thing he said was how sorry he was that it didn't work again. The second thing he said was IVF alone would never work for us. Those words were very confusing to me. In my mind IVF was the last resort. What else is left? Donor embryos?

So I asked him if our embryos were poor quality and if donor embryos were our only hope. He said we most definitely did not need donor anything. We fertilize well and made good embryos. The problem is implantation failure. He said if we are willing he would like to try something called endometrial trauma before our next try. (I'm not even sure what that is so if any of you girls have been through this, please educate me. I can't find much about it except clinical studies that talk about injury to the endometrium. Sounds like fun.)

He said we really don't even have to do IVF with this because we know we fertilize well and make quality embryos so the only thing they could do to help would be assisted hatching. He said we could just do injectables with IUI again. But I really feel like that would be a huge step backward. Plus injectables scare me since you have no control over how many babies like you do with IVF.

So I guess it was just news-not necessarily good or bad. Good that we made quality embryos but bad that it doesn't matter how good they are if my body won't implant them. I'm not sure how to feel. Anybody out there want to donate their uterus for 9 months, free of charge?

9 comments:

  1. have you ever considered a surrogate? your eggs, his sperm. just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow,... That's crazy. But, your doctor is really good at what he does right? He must be recommending something that he thinks would be best for you guys. I would totally try it if there was no risk in damaging yourself (the endometrial trauma is a strange name). Good luck with your decision.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry you're having to struggle with this news... Sending you lots of hugs and hope. I believe in your miracle. It will happen. The questions are when and how.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to have a surrogate. Until now I really didn't know if that was an option because I wasn't sure what our issues were but now that we know it seems like the logical choice. The problem is the cost. You have to pay for your meds, her meds and her IVF cost plus the fee to pay her. That's why I asked if someone wants to offer a free uterus. It's one thing to spend $15,000 on myself and it not work. It's another to spend $30,000 on someone else and it not work. If it were the same cost as a regular IVF for me I would totally do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gosh...I am so sorry you are facing this. Endometrial trauma? not sure what that it. I did an endometrial biopsy prior to this last cycle-RE told me it has shown in some cases to help with implantation issues. Not sure if that is the same thing.
    Have you thought about a 2nd opinion?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amiracle4us- I do think that may be the same thing. The clinical studies I found sometimes called it that. Can you tell me what they did and how they did it? Was it the real cycle before your entire IVF or right after your bc cycle before IVF?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been thinking of you and praying for you hun. I hope to God that with the new technology and ideas that they have - you WILL get your baby! Praying for answers!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lyndsey, I've been following your journey for a little while now. Dr A was my doctor also. I went through 3 failed IVF cycles, then when I was about to give up like you, I had laparoscopic surgery again for endometriosis. Dr. A could not figure out why my cycles were failing b/c we also had good quality embryos. He also suggested we try IUI with injectibles. I had never done injectibles. We had skipped right to IVF b/c of the fear of triplets or more. Even though it felt like a step backwards, I trusted him and now I am holding my 6 week old twins! Dr. A just called me last week to congratulate me and told me I deserved all the credit b/c I did not give up! Do not give up either! Sending prayers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such great news! I think we are going to do the endometrial biopsy in May and try IVF again this summer. I guess if it doesn't work we could do injectables next. I'm just super scared of toooooo many babies. I have a friend who is pregnant with quads from injectables. Eek!!;) thanks for following. Hopefully I get the same ending as you soon.

      Delete