Wednesday, January 7, 2015

FLU FET

Let me start out saying I am sick. I have the flu and it is AWFUL! We went to the Gator Bowl to watch our Tennessee Vols anialate the Hawkeyes (yay!) and on our way home I started feeling pain in my back. I get frequent sinus infections, bronchitis, etc. because I have asthma so I just figured it was that. Sunday I slept most of the day and felt a little better that night before I went to bed.

I didn't sleep well that night and got up to take my temperature at some point in the night. It was 99 so I wasn't really sure if I had a temperature or not since that's not really high above 98.6. I don't get temperatures ever but I did remember when I used to take my temp years ago with that Basal thermometer, it was usually around 97. When I woke up I felt a little better so I went on to school.

By the time I got there I was feeling chills. I talked to my principal and told her I may or may have the flu and told her my temp was 99. She took it again and it was 99 point something...I can't remember but it was higher than at my house. So I told her I would go to the doctor and would let them know if I could come back.

By the time the doctor saw me, it was getting worse. I was absolutely freezing and now the temp was 100.5. They tested me for the flu but it came back negative. I had all the symptoms: fever, chills, achy body, coughing with little coming up, headache. So, she said she was going to give me Tamiflu anyway because almost everyone that was coming in was testing negative but had all the symptoms. She said they'd come back in two days later and then the test would turn positive. I've had the flu one other time so I knew for sure this was it. And things only got worse.

That night was horrible. My temperature got up to 102 even after taking fever reducing medicine all day long. My cousin suggested on Facebook to take a warm bath so I did. It really helped and after I slept an hour or so, my fever certainly broke as I woke up in drenched clothing. Gross I know, but I had never been so glad in my life.

I tell you all of this for two reasons:

1. If you feel any symptoms whatsoever, go to the doctor right then. If you test negative for the flu, get treated anyway. I wouldn't wish this pain on anyone!!!

2. My FET is Tuesday. Great timing, huh?

Since my transfer is scheduled for next week, I had to go for my blood work yesterday, no matter how I felt. When I get blood work, I can't do it locally. We live in a small town that doesn't run estrodiol or progesterone tests STAT so I have to travel an hour to get it done. Luckily my husband was able to drive me but even riding in the car was difficult for me. I kept passing landmarks and saying to myself, "Only a little longer...." When you get blood work at this hospital, you have to register. Apparently everyone in the entire city of Knoxville was having surgery yesterday because there were 12 people already waiting. I felt bad because well, I FELT REALLY BAD but also there I was sitting around all these people knowing that I was contagious. The things we do for even a slight chance of a baby! After an HOUR they call me back to register. It was really hard for me to pretend I didn't have the flu. I'm sure I looked lovely too. I felt guilty after using the pen to sign my name that I knew the girl would pick up and use after me but I was afraid to say anything just in case. I had to get this done and after being miserable for 2 hours away from my bed I'd come too far.

So after I registered I had to walk downstairs to the lab. By this point I was having trouble walking and standing up straight. Again I waited but this time it was only about 15 minutes but when you are that sick it seems like an eternity. People would come in and I would have to pretend again. The lady calls me back and takes a look at my insurance and tells me they can't run these tests here because my insurance wants me to use Labcorp. I told her that as long as the order said STAT that they will pay for it. (Can you tell I've had this conversation a few times before at this lab?) She walks to the back to make sure and told me she really didn't think they would. This happens every time I'm there and so I really hope it will still pay. It did in July but at this point I'm so miserable that I don't care what it costs. I tell her to run it anyway and if they don't pay I would contact them myself. I just had to get out of there.

My husband was in the car waiting for me and as soon as I got in I started bawling. I pretty much cried the whole way home from the pain. I never realized how hard it is to pretend you feel fine when you don't. I'm not sure I've ever had to do that before but we all know that when it's cycle day whatever, you have to get blood work or your cycle could be cancelled. If an actual baby would come from this I wouldn't care but it's really hard to put yourself through something like that when you know it will most likely be in vain.

My RE knows I have the flu. I called them the day before the blood work to make sure we could still go through everything since I would be on Tamiflu and she said it would be fine. The nurse called back with my numbers from the blood work and said everything looks great! We will have our lining check on Monday and if it looks good then we will transfer our last two donated frozen embryos on Tuesday.

The timing seems really bad. I will probably be unable to work this week because of my sickness. I can't work two days next week due to the transfer. My body isn't in good health obviously so it seems like this has zero chance of working. But maybe the cycles that are the most screwed up are the ones that end up being the miracle you've been waiting for. My immune system is compromised and for me that's actually perfect since mine is typically overactive and wants to destroy my embryos. Maybe that's why I got sick in the first place since I was taking medicine to calm my immune system down. If that's the case I will be forever grateful for this flu. :)



2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, getting that blood test sounds horrible. I hope you feel better soon and wishing you the very best with this transfer... Hopefully this flu is exactly what will help get these embryos to stick. Sending lots of prayers your way!

    ReplyDelete