Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Transfer Trip!

Katie arrived on Tuesday night, September 5. Her husband, Brian, was so gracious to take time off work to watch the kids so she could come early and stay late! It took her a little bit longer to get here because of the weather from Hurricane Harvey. (Bless those of you who endured him and Irma!) The airline lost her baggage but luckily she had all the meds in her carry-on. Since it was a little later, we went to eat at Smoky Mountain Brewery and then waited for an Uber driver to deliver her baggage. Roadie delivered it at 11:30 with his zipper down showing his red underwear. Katie and I were both so glad Brad answered the door instead of one of us! I gave her the progesterone in oil (PIO) shot and we went to bed.


Wednesday we went shopping for her kiddos, furniture for my new house and then went to my most favorite store right now, Buy Buy Baby. We walked through every aisle taking pictures of all the things that she said were useful and I dreamed of maybe registering for all of it soon. Please God. Allow me to come back into this store as an "expectant mother" and pick out all of these things for our own bundle of joy, even if they won't let me part in that reserved spot. :)

We relaxed that night by eating Japanese and watching our two new favorite shows, "Rattled" and "Outdaughtered." We learned that the couple on Rattled that has quads only transferred two embryos and they BOTH split making four babies and we were both thankful that we were only transferring one tomorrow.









Everyone's calendars have been marked. It's finally SEPTEMBER 7TH, TRANSFER DAY!We left for Nashville early that morning. When we arrived, Brad let us both out and I stopped by the bathroom. When I got back into the waiting room, they had already called Katie back! She sent me a message saying they already had her in a gown in bed! I started to believe I wasn't going to be allowed back. It's a bit strange when for so many years you are the one signing in, getting in the gown, getting your blood pressure checked and now feeling no one realizes you're even there. I sat there for a while in a bit of a panic but those of you that know me well know I would NEVER speak up on my own behalf. Luckily Katie has already figured this out about me so she told the nurse someone would need to go out there and get me and they did! Thank goodness. I would not have wanted to miss this next part for anything in the world.

After they checked Katie's vitals, the nurses told us the embryologist would be in next to tell us about the embryo. When I heard the door opening, I felt my heart drop to my feet. Did it survive the thaw? Was it good quality? YES AND YES! She explained that the embryo was already hatching and not only that but that when we get in the room I could watch it continue to hatch! I cried tears of joy and she hugged my neck.
His/her first pic! How gorgeous is this?
 Next we had to sign a bunch of paperwork and it was Katie's last chance to back out! (Only kidding!)Then they wheeled her into the transfer room which is where I got to see our baby literally moving. It was by far the most incredible thing I've ever seen and something I will never forget. The only bad part was that Brad wasn't allowed back there to watch our child show the earliest signs of life. How great is our God?

After he/she put on the little show, they scooped it up in the catheter and put it right where it needed to be and that was it. They wheeled her back into the room for a few minutes and we were off to lunch!









By this time our little baby was hungry (hehe!) so we stopped off at a local favorite, Double Dogs for our buffalo chicken salads like we ate before medical and psych clearance. 


Crossville, where our parents live, is on the way home to Knoxville so we decided to stop by to see Brad's grandma so she could meet Katie and then headed to my mom's house. She got to meet my brother Jeff, his wife Michelle, our best friends Carrie and Nathan and their son, Peyton. My other brother, Patrick, was unable to make it so he Facetimed us during supper. Speaking of supper, my baby got to enjoy a 7 course meal as his/her Papa would have called it! Chicken and dumplings, mashed potatoes, biscuits, corn, green beans, slaw and chocolate cake. I gave her the PIO shot in my mom's bedroom and blood started squirting out all over both of us. (And my dad said I should have been a nurse?) We didn't even try to call for help because we were both laughing so hard! Nathan used to be a phlebotomist and assured us that it just sometimes happens and probably never would again thankfully.
 The next day was Pumpkin Spice Day at Krispy Kreme and although I don't care for them, Katie loves them so I joined in with some chocolate glaze. The rest of the day we looked for items to decorate my new furniture that we found days before. While shopping Katie started to have what we both thought were implantation cramps. How could it be so soon? I guess when you put an embryo in that's already 5 days old, they are ready to start digging in! These cramps continued for the next 2 days!!!!!

For supper we went to Lakeside Tavern with Brad's family. She got to meet his mom and dad, his sister Julie, his Aunt Nancy and Uncle Jerry and his cousin Nathan. We had to wait for our table so we opened gifts during the wait. Brad's mom and dad opened a chalkboard I bought them to countdown the weeks until their first grand baby arrives. (Can you tell we have some confidence in this new plan?) Brad's mom, Patti, got Katie a candle that said HOPE and as I read the card I balled my eyes out. Not only have Brad and I waited 10 years for this baby, his family hasn't had a baby on their side since his cousin who is now in his 30s. It always hurt me so much that I couldn't give that to them. I'm so thankful that Katie is willing to do this for all of us. Brad's Uncle Jerry said it best when he looked her straight in the eye and simply said, "Thank you."



Patti gave me a book with the transfer date on the first page that I was obviously not expecting to see.
I love how Brad is watching me. 



We couldn't send Katie back to North Carolina without UT Football and Marco's Pizza so that was our Saturday. We went to Copper Cellar, our usual hangout, and then watched the Vols beat Indiana State. I wish our baby's first game would have been against a better opponent but a win's a win!


So then it was Sunday and time for Katie and our embryo to fly to North Carolina. It was a sad day to say goodbye to both of them but when she woke up that day feeling hot and nauseous we were both so hopeful that I will be seeing them again soon at an ultrasound. I can't explain the gratitude we have toward this special girl. Not many people would leave their home, children, husband and life to spend a week with us and give us this most precious gift. I knew I loved her before but now she truly feels like a part of our family. Praising God for the pain that led us to her and hopefully soon the joy. I pray He says to me, "My Daughter, it's time to dance."



To be continued......... :)

2 comments:

  1. I am crying right now because I have been where you are right now so I am praying with you and can't wait to dance with you and your family. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you have already made it to the other side!!!!

      Delete