Saturday, October 15, 2011

October 15th, a remembrance day that gets little remembrance

Today is October 15, Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day. I think it's very sad that the only way you would know this is if you are in the IF or RPL world. I hate that baby loss is still a subject that no one wants to admit occurs and the only people comfortable talking about it are people who have lived it. I have nothing against the breast cancer campaigns in October, my mother had breast cancer. But pregnancy loss is more common than any of these diseases that everyone wears ribbons for yet no one cares. Did you even know the ribbon for this day is half pink and half baby blue? No, because no one wears one. I want to live in a time where it's normal to mourn your loss and no one tells you, "It's a good thing you lost your baby at 7 weeks instead of being father along." No it's not. That's like telling someone that you're glad their child died at age 4 instead of age 10. A loss is a loss, no matter how old your child is.

At 7:00 my husband and I  lit two candles for our two little angels in Heaven. I love and miss them and know that Jesus is taking good care of them until we see them again. I stared at the one and only ultrasound picture we've ever gotten and prayed that if we ever get another one, the same thing will not happen again. I pray that next October we will not be lighting any extra candles on this date and that next year maybe a few more people will remember, whether they lost babies or not.

2 comments:

  1. That is so true - I totally agree with you! I wish more people were aware and shared. Hugs to you <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain.:( Glad you were able to take some time to remember your little angels by lighting a couple candles. It doesn't matter how long they were with us....they were our babies. People who haven't been through it couldn't possibly understand, and I agree that there needs to be more public awareness so the topic isn't so taboo. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete