Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Weathering the storm

October 24, 2017 will go down as one of the best days of my life...

It was Monday night and we were trying to get to New Bern, NC for our child. We flew out of Knoxville into Atlanta. When we got on our plane to NC, there was an issue. A huge line of thunderstorms was covering the area we were trying to get to. The pilot told us he would try to fly into the storm and find a hole but couldn't promise anything. He said he would have to take us back to Atlanta if we couldn't fly through it. Here's our flight track:

So as you can see, we didn't make it through. He came over the intercom saying he had to take us back to Atlanta. Although I was really disappointed as were all the passengers, I wanted to make it there alive to see this baby. About 5 minutes pass and he comes back on to say he is going to take us to Columbia, SC to get more gas and try to fly around it. This was a HUGE blessing because there weren't any other flights we could take to get there in time for the ultrasound. We land there and sit on the plane a few hours to try to wait out the storm. If we wait too long then the storm will be directly over the place we were to land. We finally fly to New Bern. No one was screaming but the turbulence wasn't great. I was holding onto Brad with all I could and started to feel grateful that we had already made plans for this baby should we not make it out of here! I'm a tad dramatic on planes. 

We land safe and sound and luckily had a room about 5 minutes from the airport since we were SO tired. I actually slept that night because I was so glad to be off that airplane that I think it helped me not worry about the magnitude of what we were flying to go see the next day. 

We wake up the next morning and I had this strange sense of peace. There was no reason for it other than so many people were praying and so God just allowed it to happen. It's not that I believed everything was going to be ok. I didn't know that for sure. All I knew was that I had to be ok with whatever we saw on that screen. If God decided this wasn't the one, then I had to accept it. There really wasn't any other choice.  

We head to Katie's house to pick her up and I told her daughter that I would see her afterward for lunch, just hoping that this would go well so we could even go have lunch. As soon as the doctor put the wand in, we knew it. We knew God had spared him/her. We knew He had also spared us from the extreme pain we had anticipated yet again on this journey. The sac that was too small last week had grown HUGE! So big that the doctor didn't even need to measure it. This baby was literally DANCING!!!! You could see its arm bent, its tiny toes and that FACE! I have watched this child move since the day it was 5 days old busting out of its shell. The doctor said it looked absolutely perfect and the heartbeat was beating away at 168bpm. Here he/she is and its here to stay this time. 
I title this picture "Cutest baby ever!"
Look at the size of this sac now! Praise the Lord!


                                     
                                      
                                       

So here we are. On cloud 9! We are so thankful to the Lord and He has once again shown His power when things seem hopeless. Katie and I had talked about if this baby made it and the sac grew like it was supposed to, then we wanted steak for lunch. So that's exactly what we did! I've never felt so much joy. 




To top off this fabulous day, Mia brought us a book to lunch. If you have ever waited for your child or know someone that has, I strongly recommend purchasing this book. I cried just reading the jacket cover. 

I can't wait for the day I get to read this book to this child. I can't wait to tell him/her the lengths we went to just to have a chance of getting them. I don't know if they will ever be able to understand just how much they were wanted and loved by so many people but especially Mom and Dad. I think we are going to have a baby. The flight home was so much better but not just because there wasn't a storm anymore. Maybe the storms are really gone for good this time. 

2 comments: