Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Another baby!!

Well  I am excited to announce that we are the proud parents of a 5 day old blastocyst! The day of the transfer they told us we had some 2 celled embies that they were going to try to grow to a blast. If they can make it to blast, they are much stronger embryos. But the bad news is that sometimes they don't survive 5 days outside the body. So knowing that one of our embryos survived in a dish for 5 days gives me hope that the ones inside me made it to blast and will implant.

If you are wondering what happens to a blastocyst embryo after you've already done a transfer, they get frozen. If you don't get pregnant with the embryos they already transferred, they can put the frozen one inside you and hopefully it will implant. If you do get pregnant with the ones you transferred, then you can save your frozen one to use later for a sibling. Either way we will be able to try to get pregnant with this precious one. The only concern is sometimes embryos do not survive the thawing process so that is a little scary to think about. But blastocysts are stronger than 3 day embryos so we can hope he/she will survive.

I also talked to the nurse about my blood clotting concerns. If you are unaware, I have a gene mutation called PAI-1 and from everything I've read and people I know with this, it can cause miscarriage.  I am currently taking aspirin but I really feel like I need the Lovenox shots as well. Some doctors put their patients on Lovenox therapy for recurrent pregnancy loss even if they don't carry the gene. So since I know I have it, I am really nervous about getting pregnant again. The doctor said to be sure to take aspirin right now and if I get a positive test on the 29th, then we could discuss it. Even though I may not need it, if I get pregnant, don't take shots then lose the baby, I'll never forgive myself.

3 comments:

  1. Two people I know in C'ville have had similar issues and with shots have had successful pregnancies. I know you know one of them and I can put you in touch with both if you're interested! I'm praying for you! ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  2. whatever the outcome, please know you have done and gone beyond the humanly possible to make this work. No guilt should ever enter your mind. We make the best choice we can at the time with the information we have at the time.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes please Carrie. You know I'll talk to anyone about this. And thank you onegardner. I'll try not to blame myself!

    ReplyDelete