Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Embryo donation!!!

I know this seems fast but that's because it is. Our clinic called back today informing us that there are three different sets of donated embryos up for recipients. These three couples already have children from IVF and no longer want to have any more so they are graciously donating their frozen embabies to needy couples like us. They have already signed the paperwork relinquishing their rights so now they just need a family. Our clinic doesn't offer them to people outside the facility. There is another interested couple meeting with them next week to look at the profiles as well.

I don't know everything about the process yet but I do know we get the privilege of looking at non-identifying facts about the couples like height, weight, eye color, hair color, occupation, etc. The families do not have to pick us. Once they sign them over to be donated, they are the responsibility of the clinic to find them a good home. No home studies or adoption agencies. Yay!

We are going to the clinic this week to look at the profiles and decide which group of embryos we want. If everything goes well, then they can be our's very soon. That doesn't mean we will use them right away. Obviously the events of last week have left us too hurt to try again soon. But if we don't go now to get some, there may not be any to get when we are ready. She said the demand for donated embryos is high. There are thousands of embryos in storage of course but most of them will be used by the family they belong to or will remain frozen indefinitely because couples struggle with what to do with them. I am so happy that these three couples thought better of the second option and chose donation. They may be able to provide us with the child of our dreams!

3 comments:

  1. This is wonderful! I don't think you're moving fast at all. I always moved right on after a failed cycle because it was my way of healing. I didn't want to dwell in my past failure. Everyone is different though. I would cheer you on if you went right into this next month!! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would cheer you on too! It's never too soon for a fresh start! I'm excited for you and my prayers are with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! We are not sure when we'll transfer them but it's comforting to know they are waiting for us when we are ready. I hope this is the answer to all our prayers!

    ReplyDelete